Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Story Behind The Nose Ring


My nose ring was my first major piercing done when I was fourteen. No one knew I was going to get it except for my dad, who probably paid for it dearly when my mom saw it.
I know that's probably a young age but considering I had just had major back surgery just a few months earlier, he obviously couldn't say no.

Ah...the back surgery. I was thirteen when we found out I had Scoliosis and by then it was too advanced for a back brace. Instead, I had to endure a seven to nine hour surgery....just two weeks shy of my birthday. That will be exactly ten years this coming Sunday (Jan. 15th). I look back and it makes me feel so old considering I was so young. I will always have the scar running down my back and am proud of that. It's almost like a war wound.

Back (no pun intended) to my nose ring, I love it so much because it was a bonding experience for my dad and I, not to mention it reminds me of a time in my life when I needed a lot of strength.
Something I'll never forget was the one and only time I cried about the situation and my aunt told me that I have strength running in my blood. She was right. The women in my family have been through hell and back over the years and it's only made us stronger.

So here's a toast to nose rings and strong women.

No comments:

Post a Comment